How to install a Dekstone deck
1. Front of house, backyard on left, lower level foreground.
2. Narrow the pathway between backyard and entry, lower level on right.
3. Fence blocking upper area backyard and lower level.
4. Finished lower deck with stairs connecting to upper deck.
Enjoy many years of maintenance-free outdoor dining.
5. Finished lower deck with stairs to upper deck and backyard.
Dekstone offer visual symmetry by tying together upper and lower decks with side yard veranda.this is impossible to create with wood, wood-plastic composites, and concrete or brick pavers.
6. Preparing the backyard and veranda area as well as the lower level deck on left.
Dig holes, place concrete piers, set post and beams. Position joists 23 7/8" apart, allowing for Dekstone placement on center of joist.
7. Setting stair stringers & preparing deck framing.
8. Stringers for Stepstone bolt-onto-wood precast stair treads.
9. 4" x 12" wood stringers hung, waiting for treads and lower area deck framing.
10. Setting piers and beams to frame the lower deck area.
11. 12" x 16" lower deck dining area taking shape.
12. Framing the upper deck joist to be set 23 7/8" on center.
Dekstones are supported with a minimum of 1 ½" bearing on two parallel sides.
13. Laying 4" x 6" joists, 23 7/8" on center - upper deck cantilevers over lower deck.
14. Dekstone pavers are delivered on pallets.
15. Dekstone is easy to handle and move into place.
Weighs 22 lbs per square foot (3.88 sq. ft. Dekstones)
16. Dekstone is laid paver by paver on framed joists.
Size 23 7/8" x 23 7/8" x 2 (+/- 1/8")
Strength: 4,000 psi (pounds per square inch); type III cement
Inside & outside: zinc-plated steel reinforcing - integral concrete coloring.
17. Midway through laying Dekstones side by side.
Dekstones are designed to exceed the code required by building departments - they support 100 lbs live load and 300 lbs concentrated loading requirements.
18. Laying the upper deck, one Dekstone at a time.
19. Almost completed upper deck area
20. Side view of the upper deck showing Dekstone positioned on the joists.
21. View of the newly-completed upper deck using Dekstone.
22. Two Dekstone decks with connecting stairway.
23. Lower Dekstone deck... happy owner smiles approvingly.
24. Dekstone pavers shown joining elevated and sandset patios.
Stepstone's "Sonorastone" slate-like pavers come in three sizes, 12"x12", 12"x24", and 24"x24" for a beautiful, natural rock-like sandset patio.
25. Side yard view of veranda area, Stepstone stairs, and lower Dekstone deck.
26. Narrow walkway of Sonorastone pavers integrate into poured concrete element.
Side yard is poured in place - concrete inset with Stepstone Sonorastone style pavers used to tie the two areas together.